Last year, I learned that coconut oil is this new magic cure all for humans and it didn’t take long before I learned that it’s great for dogs too. So I picked up a huge tub of organic extra virgin coconut oil when I saw it at Costco for $20 or a little less.
I’ve been putting it on our dogs’ paws as a conditioner and I noticed Rodrigo had a red sore between his toes (are they toes when it’s a dog?) and I rubbed some coconut oil on it and it was completely healed the next day.
When Sydney has that not so fresh smell on her head (she’s part Lab), I rub some coconut oil on her head and around her neck – she’s right as rain.
One of my new favorite sites, Dogs Naturally Magazine, lists the benefits of coconut oil that surprised even me and makes me excited by the huge tub of oil I picked up at Costco…
- Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
- Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
- Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
- Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
- Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
- Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health
- Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
- Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Helps reduce weight, increases energy
- Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
Do you use coconut oil with your dogs? What got you started?