Here is a homemade dog food recipe submitted by Bonnie of Calico June Designs! Thanks, Donna
Our Homemade Dog Food Recipe…
Serves 3 for approx a week; thaw out if frozen
- Boil 2 4-packs of chicken thighs in a big pot of water (about 2 gallons? we use our biggest pot)
- Remove once cooked and add several cups of rice, lentils, quinoa, or any other combo of grains
- You want the water to be about 2 to 1 ratio of the grains put in.
- Then add in shredded carrots, bag of frozen peas, any other vegetables, like shredded zucchini, squash, or any other seasonal veggie, some dried fruits like cranberries, blueberries, etc., and some fish oil caplets
- Cook on med low until grains fully absorbed, stir occasionally
- You can mix it up, with the grains, veggies, and fruits, but you want a combo of meat, grains, fruits and veggies, and fish oil
- Once everything else is cooked, and the chicken has cooled, shred it off the bone and add back in.
- Sometimes when we plate the food we’ll add in a raw egg
- We also take the chicken bones and puree them with some water in the blender…they can actually eat this (and it’s very good for them!), if it’s all pureed…they can only not eat poultry bones if they’re whole, as they can splinter, but if they’re pureed, they’re good to go!
- Also, the grains, we buy bulk (fairway and whole foods are good for this), and they have a good variety like quinoa and millet, which are both very good for dogs
If you have a great, healthy and safe dog food, dog treat, or Kong stuffing recipe that you’d like to share with thousands of dog lovers, please head on over to the Contact Page and submit it to Keep the Tail Wagging along with your name. The recipe will be attributed to you and promoting online on all the major social networking sites!
As with any change to your dog’s diet, please double check with your veterinarian.