Today’s homemade dog treat recipe was shared by Amy Rzepka of Beecology…”Being Beekeepers, I had to try this recipe when I saw it?my dog, JJ loves these cookies?they are good enough for me to serve to my children, too! I am not sure where I saw the recipe, but it is a keeper!” ~ Amy
Banana and Honey Cookies
* 2 cups water
* 2 bananas, mashed
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 egg
* 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
3. Combine water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl.
4. Stir in whole-wheat flour and baking powder.
5. Beat dough with an electric mixer on medium speed until ingredients are thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes?you might have to add more flour.
7. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into mini shapes with your favorite cookie cutter.
8. Place dough shapes on prepared baking sheets.
9. Bake in preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
10. Turn off the oven and leave cookies until thoroughly dry and crisp, 30 to 40 more minutes.
11. Remove baking sheets from oven and allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to fully cool.
If you have a great, healthy and safe dog food, dog treat, or Kong stuffing recipe that you’d like to share with thousands of dog lovers, please head on over to the Contact Page and submit it to Keep the Tail Wagging along with your name. The recipe will be attributed to you and promoting online on all the major social networking sites!
As with any change to your dog’s diet, please double check with your veterinarian.