We have a great recipe for stuffing Kongs to help keep dogs busy either when owners are busy themselves around the house or for when the dog is left alone.
- 3 Cans of 100% Organic Pure Pumpkin (we use Nummy Tum Tum Pure Pumpkin for Dogs)
- 10-12 dog small biscuits (we use BLUE Mini Bars from Blue Buffalo)
- The Honest Kitchen dehydrated dog food (our dogs like Force)
- Peanut Butter
- Empty 3 cans of pumpkin into a large mixing bowl
- Crush up dog biscuits until they are in very small pieces – almost a powder, but not (we put them all in a plastic baggie first and then pound them – makes less of a mess), then add to the bowl
- Add two large scoops of peanut butter to the bowl
- Add ½ cup of The Honest Kitchen dehydrated dog food
- Add 1 cup of water
- Mix until blended (very easy with a mixer – takes 1-2 minutes); note: if mix is a bit runny you can refrigerate for 30 minutes – 1 hour to thicken up
- When you are ready to fill the Kongs, put a biscuit or whichever small treat you choose at the bottom, then begin filling with mixture.
After many trials, we learned the best way to do this is to put the mixture in a large pastry bag (without a cake tip – and cut the end to make the hole larger) and it makes filling the Kongs a breeze! What used to take us hours is now down to about 15-20 minutes… even less if you have two people (one filling, one stuffing).
- Once the Kong is filled, make sure the mixture is packed in using a knife (sometimes you might need to add more if air gets in)
- Put the Kong in the freezer and move on to the next one!
This mixture usually makes about 10+ (medium-sized) Kongs. You obviously don’t have to use The Honest Kitchen or the biscuits listed above. Mix and match treats to see what works best for you and your dog. Just be sure the treats are small enough to fit in the Kong. You can even put one at the bottom, fill up the Kong halfway, put another treat in and then top it off.
As with any change to your dog’s diet, please double check with your veterinarian.