Have you heard of Tellington TTouch or TTouch? I was first introduced to it when we hired our amazing dog trainer (and behaviorist) Shannon Finch. She gave me a worksheet showing different techniques and displayed each one. On each training session, she asked me to show her my technique and would make adjustments until I got it right.
Tellington TTouch is great for dogs for several reasons, but personally, it helped me bond with our dogs, because it’s relaxing and reduces stress. Even today, if I sit on the floor, Rodrigo will come and sit in front of me (his back to my front) for his TTouch.
What is Tellington TTouch (TTouch)?
Tellington TTouch was developed by Linda Tellington-Jones and the technique has been shown to be an amazing way to “improve behavior, enhance performance and health, and teach a dog to learn willingly. It helps establish a deeper rapport and more effective connection and understanding between humans and their animals.” ~ Tellington Touch Training
Tellington TTouch is easy to do and requires no specialized knowledge of a dog’s body. It’s completely gentle and non-confrontational, which is why it’s such a fantastic way to release tension and (in my opinion) bond with your dog.
Tellington TTouch is a great companion to dog training. When we adopted littermate puppies, we were warned that…
- They would bond to each other and not to us.
- They would fight with each other constantly.
- They would be nearly impossible to train.
I used the Tellington TTouch as taught to me by our dog trainer and was amazed by how we were able to help our dogs relax after a training and/or play session. I began using TTouch on them in the morning when they woke up, after a training session, and sometimes in the evening to settle them down. TTouch also came in handy during thunder storms; in fact, Rodrigo comes to me during a storm or fireworks automatically and I begin the TTouch.
What TTouch can do for you and your dog
The TTouch method can…
- Address physical and behavioral issues, by balancing mind and body; improving a dog’s ability to learn
- Relieve anxieties, fears and compulsions in your dog
- Increase bonding between a dog and their human
- Help animals who are recovering from surgery; when the mind and body are in better balance, it is able to heal more quickly
- Enable dog owners to take an active part in their animal’s comfort
- Relieve stress in dog owners as well
- Help to create a calmer atmosphere at home
By reducing our dogs’ stress, we help them make better behavioral choices.
Now it’s YOUR turn! Do you practice Tellington TTouch?
Thank you to the TTouch practitioners who took the time to help me write this article…
Jenn Merritt, CPDT-KA, Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Tellington TTouch Companion Animal Practitioner
Sarah Hauser, Tellington TTouch, Reiki and Bach Flower Remedies for Pets and People
Linda Troup, TouchNpaws & MakeNscents
Marsha T Wallace, MD, TellingtonTTouch CAP, IN GOOD HANDS